Start with a Clean Car!
Auto Shampooing is NOT just Washing the Car!
Proper shampooing is the removal of loose dirt, road film, and surface contaminants without removing the wax or scratching the paint. Keeping your vehicle clean with regular hand shampooing and the right product, removes abrasive contaminants and increases the paint's longevity.
SmartCarwash (a premium auto shampoo) contains gloss enhancers to maintain shine, not to remove it. SmartCarwash is not just a shampoo, it's a wash and wax enhancer.
Manufactured with water softeners and anti-static ingredients, SmartCarwash helps reduce mineral deposits in hard water. It leaves behind a spot-free finish that greatly reduces dust attraction. SmartCarwash is far more than a wash, it's a lavish spa for your automobile.
Once Shampooed, is the Surface Really Clean?
To Shine or Not to Shine?
Road film, wax build-up, swirls and dull paint will not come off in the wash. If you think you can produce a gloss from just applying wax, you're wrong. The only solution to a true shine is prepping the paint before you apply wax. SmartPolish will accomplish this in a few minutes.
SmartPolish is a blend of polymers and "acu-cut" powders. It delivers a superior finish on paint and plastic. SmartPolish is very easy to work, applied by hand or machine. Old or new, all vehicles, boats and motorcycles benefit from polishing at least twice a year.
- If the paint is dull, or full of swirls, you should apply SmartPolish with an electric polisher. The #1 reason is time and effort. A polisher can turn a 2-day job into an couple of hours of fun! If the paint is in good condition, then hand application is fine.
- Squeeze a quarter-size dab of SmartPolish on a terry covered pad for hand application, or to a foam polisher pad. Too much product is wasteful, messy and does not improve the results.
- Work an area that is manageable. If it's too large, the product will dry before you finish polishing. Start with a 2' x 2' area and enlarge as you get the hang of the "buff and wipe" procedure. Wipe-off SmartPolish with a microfiber or terry towel.
- Don't be afraid to re-apply SmartPolish. If the paint isn't perfect after the initial application, a second pass may be just right. Remember, SmartPolish removes surface imperfections, so they're not going to reappear.
The time you take with the pre-wax preparation, is time well spent. Make sure the paint is clear and has a brilliant shine before you call it a day. This is the most important step in the detailing process.
If your vehicle is brand new or well used, sticky airborne contamination continually lands on the surface. Airborne pollution is usually felt by hand, or seen as tiny specks on light paint. Airborne pollutants include: road paint, industrial fallout (factories, airports, cities), sap, raildust (railroad tracks) and overspray (from your neighbor's new house paint). Some specks are harmless to paint, but wax will spread more evenly when they are removed. Mineral-based pollution will eventually etch a tiny hole in the paint!
After washing your vehicle, place your fingers in a plastic bag or cigarette wrapper and gently run your hand across the paint. If it feels rough and gritty, it's covered with some form of this naturally occurring contamination. It’s time to SmartClay!
Automotive Clay was designed for one purpose. To remove contamination stuck to the surface. Clay also has a sticky texture and clings to raised specks as it's rubbed across the surface. This is a job only clay can accomplish. You can't rub-off embedded specks with a pad and elbow grease.
Tips on Applying Automotive Clay:
It's best to apply clay in a dust and wind-free environment. Remember, grit sticks to clay on contact! The vehicle's surface can be warm, but it's best to apply clay out of direct sunlight during the summer. In cold weather, a warm garage helps both you, and the clay! (Store all detail products at room temperature.)
- Be sure your vehicle is properly washed and dried.
- Proper lubrication is important, so spray both the surface and the clay with SmartDetail. SmartClay may be used on paint, metal, vinyl, plastic and glass.
- Gently rub the clay back and forth with light to medium pressure. Continue to lubricate the surface. If the clay drags, it's not performing properly.
- After several passes with the clay, rub your hand (in the plastic bag) across the area you've just clayed, to check for missed spots.
- Also check the surface of the clay bar. If both sides look soiled, remold the clay to produce clean front and back surfaces. Always remove particles that you can feel. If the clay is accidentally dropped to the ground, you must replace the bar.
- Once claying is complete, spray the surface again with SmartDetail and wipe clean with a terry towel or cotton diaper. Clay may be applied as often as you wish, but it's best applied a minimum of twice a year, (when you polish).
The Surface is Finally Clean. Now it's Time to Protect.
The ABCs of Waxing:
Regular waxing is an absolute must! It isn't just to enhance the appearance of your vehicle, wax is the only barrier to the barrage of environmental elements. It's better to have dust, tar, sap, bug and bird poop stuck to wax than your paint! Wax also protects against damaging UV radiation.
Protective waxes are divided into two groups. Carnauba-based paste and liquid waxes or polymer-based sealants. Often the formulas are mixed to enhance depth of color (carnauba) or to extend durability (polymers).
Liquid SmartWax contains the highest quality, Brazilian #1 Carnauba crème, enriched with a non-stick, polymer resin. This combination delivers maximum surface protection to withstand extreme conditions and temperatures.
Liquid SmartWax can be layered for ultimate protection and gloss. SmartWax's proprietary blend of fluorocarbon polymer resins can be applied on a wet or dry surface, in the sun or shade, making SmartWax one of the most versatile waxes available.
SmartSealant takes durability and protection to the next level. This liquid sealant has a unique blend of detergent resistant polymers and fluorocarbon resins. It also contains Brazilian Ivory Carnauba and natural oils to deliver unmatched protection with more depth of color.
SmartSealant can be applied in multiple layers to deepen the shine and level of protection without compromising your paint or clear coat.
- Both liquid SmartWax and SmartSealant can be applied by hand or machine.
- Apply only to a just-shampooed surface (preferably one that has been properly polished, as well)
- As always, apply a quarter-size dab of your "SmartWax of choice" to a foam wax pad or polisher finishing pad.
- Apply a thin layer over a manageable area. Per instructions, remove wax with a terry towel or cotton baby diaper. DO NOT use a microfiber towel on fresh wax. It will remove all the wax!
- Use SmartDetail as a final spray and wipe for maximum shine and to remove wax residue in crevices. SmartDetail will not strip wax or sealants in fact it offer offers superior quick shine between waxes and sealing.
Interior Care and Maintenance:
Proper Interior Cleaning isn't a Quick Vac!
SmartCarpet is truly the ultimate in spot and stain removal. It not only cleans carpet, velour and canvas, it eliminates bacteria that causes odors!
SmartCarpet, unlike a shampoo or soap, brakes down and eliminates ugly spots, stains, grease and grime. A strong concentrate, SmartDetail can be diluted 20:1 for carpet and upholstery, or 40:1 as an all-purpose surface cleaner for vinyl and leather.
- Vacuum the carpet and/or upholstery.
- Mix Formula in (3) Dilutions (per bottle directions)
- Choose the proper dilution for the job.
- If the carpet, velour or canvas top has stains, pre-spray with the "strong" formula and use the "medium" strength for the rest of the area.
- Apply RaggTopp or 303 Fabric Protectant between cleanings.
- Only use the "light" formula for vinyl or soiled leather cleaning. Always spray the cleaner on a cloth or pad. Never spray these surfaces directly with any cleaner. Two light applications is better than using a stronger formula.
- You may wipe with a damp, clean cloth before applying dressings and conditioners. There should be no residue remaining after cleaning.
Tinted windows won't keep your interior from fading and cracking. UV radiation and extreme heat will suck the moisture out of vinyl & leather, beginning the moment it's exposed.
SmartLeather conditions and preserves the strength and flexibility of leather. It penetrates and moisturizes the hide, helping to prevent cracks and crazing. The pH balanced formula also contains UV inhibitors, stain repellant's, and waterproofing agents that work together for the protection of your leather.
- Apply SmartLeather to a clean, dry surface.
- Apply a small amount of conditioner to a small piece of sponge, terry cloth or microfiber cloth. Large cloths and pads waste product.
- Wipe just enough to cover the surface. The product should disappear immediately. You should never know it was there. SmartLeather is non-greasy and extra dry. It leaves the surface clean, conditioned, and dry to the touch.
SmartDressing provides non-greasy protection that doesn't attract dust and prevents vinyl solvents from producing a film on glass. It's water-based formula also contains UV blocking agents that protect the integrity of the covering.
- Apply SmartDressing exactly the same as SmartLeather. Dress clean vinyl and rubber. You don't want to apply liquid over a dusty surface.
- Use small pieces of sponges and cloths to apply the dressing. Large, thick applicators and cloths soak-up too much liquid.
- A little goes a long way. Wipe a thin layer of dressing to all vinyl surfaces and rubber seals.
- There should be no need to wipe after application, unless you applied too much!
It's time to go driving, riding or boating!